Don't Let The Holidays Take A Bite Out Of Your Fun: What To Do If Your Friend's Dog Bites You During A Party

With the holidays fast approaching, it's time to start planning your calendar. Not only will you be hosting a few parties, but you'll probably be a guest at a few as well. Going to someone's home for a holiday party can be problematic, especially if they have dogs. You never know when one of those four-legged hosts is going to get agitated and bite you. If you are going to a home where dogs are present, you should be prepared for the possibility of getting bitten. If you do suffer a dog bite, here are four steps you should take right away.

Clean the Wound

If you've been bitten by a dog, the first thing you should do is clean the wound, especially if you're bleeding. Find a sink and flush the wound with lukewarm water. Use a bit of antibacterial soap to clean it out, and then rinse it well to remove the soap. Pat the area dry with a clean cloth and then apply pressure to stop the bleeding.

Ask for Insurance Information

If your friends own their home, their homeowners insurance should cover the medical care for the injuries you've sustained. However, you'll need that information before you can file a claim. Before you leave the house, ask them to write down the name of their insurance company, the contact information for the company and their policy number. If they refuse to give that information to you, let them know that you'll have no choice but to file a police report. Be sure to follow through with the report. They'll be able to obtain the insurance information during their investigation.

Get the Wound Checked Out

If the dog broke the skin when it bit you, you'll need to have the wound checked out by a doctor. Don't wait until office hours to have it looked at. Head to a local urgent care or emergency room as soon as possible. They'll need to check for signs of infection, as well as determine whether the dog had been vaccinated for rabies. Not only that, but if the wound requires stitches, or surgical care, you'll want to get that taken care of as quickly as possible.

Consult a Personal Injury Attorney

You never want to sue a friend, but if you're not having any luck obtaining insurance information, or assistance with the medical bills, you'll need to consult with a personal injury attorney. You need to know your rights as an accident victim, and your attorney will be able to explain those things to you. They'll also be able to help you get the compensation and care you're entitled to.

For more information, talk with a company like O'Connor Mikita & Davidson LLC.